Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cork Board Project

I have been wanting to do this project for so long.
I have this huge wood panel with tagging, graffiti, and paintings all over it. Found Art. I think it was used for a party originally and it had a few posters attached which have now been removed leaving 2 big blank spots. Those spots puzzled me for a while, trying to figure out the best thing to go there, that I would not mind looking at constantly. I was going to do a cork board and hang it on the wall somewhere but then decided it would be better attached to my wood panel.
I found a cheap plain cork board at Michael's for around 10 bucks. I tore the whole thing apart and started painting the frame with Black spray paint and choosing fabric for the board. That part was tough. I had too many options, florals and geos, brights, dots. Nothing was working and I finally settled on a neutral dot.
I put it back together and drilled it on to my wool panel (I also used a little hot glue for good measure).
Then I dreamt up a scrolly design and started sketching ideas.

Once I was satisfied that it would work and look cool, I started sketching onto the wood. I had to make my design fit in between the existing stuff and the frame.
Then I just got out the black acrylic and went at it. It didn't take long to get the paint up, the idea and the sketching took longer.
I think it looks fresh! And I enjoy looking at it and changing the stuff on the board. Oh, I got cute little colorful push pins from Target and pinned them on in little flower shapes.

No comments: