Thursday, April 24, 2008

Old Skool Benetton

When I was a teenager in the 90's I used to plaster my bedroom walls with magazine tears of cool images I found. I was inspired by my best friends older cooler sister who had her entire room including the ceiling covered. I found this awsome ad with a bunch of hippie stuff like troll dolls, pins, patches etc up there, alot of anti-war stuff from the first invasion of Iraq, and all the United Colors of Benetton ads I could get my hands on.


These are some of the early-90's ones I remember. There are so many more that I cant find. They are ALL in here, (I want).
All of these ads had a purpose back in the day. The one above was from 1991 during the first "gulf war". And then the ads just got crazier and more controvercial from there. But each one had a clear message to raise public awareness of the important social issue of the time - racism, religion, AIDS, sexism, tolerance, war, female power, safe sex, etc. These ads were amazing to me at 11-12 years old and on and helped shape the way I see the world in a positive way. Maybe it was just my age at the time, but it felt like the 90's were all about awareness. We were wearing cross colours and listening to arrested development. Good times.


Company motto:
'communication should not be commissioned from outside the company, but conceived from within its heart.'
From that assumption stems the advertising strategy of a brand that has aimed, for over 20 years, to create “value” by capitalizing on an image.

Read the whole story here. I dont know of any other clothing company that has done anything like this.


I found the one above in vogue just before easter, I was inspired to make braided rope garlands like these, I also wanted to do hats and wear them as our easter bonnets but I didnt have enough time.

No comments: